Dynamics CRM is built on Solution Framework that allows customizing the application from frontend without any programming such as creating new entities, forms, views, entity relationships, reports, dashboards and much more.
But for the development and deployment of plug-ins, custom workflow assemblies, XAML workflows and web resources developers need a tool that integrates with Microsoft Visual Studio, this purpose is served by CRM Developer Toolkit. The Developer Toolkit is a set of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 integration tools focused on accelerating the development of custom code for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2013 and Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online. Using Developer toolkit, developers can write custom code within Visual Studio and deploy the code as an unmanaged solution on a Microsoft Dynamics CRM server or import in case of CRM online.
With the Developer Toolkit, you can do the following:
- Easily generate strongly typed proxy classes without having to run CrmSvcUtil.exe.
- Get access to entity and option set definitions within Visual Studio.
- Generate plug-in code so you can immediately begin to write code for business logic.
- Edit and register plug-ins without using the Plug-in registration tool.
- Create new web resources or extract existing web resources, add them to your solution, edit them, and deploy changes all within Visual Studio.
- Create and edit workflow and dialog processes from within Visual Studio.
- Create and deploy XAML workflows in Visual Studio.
- Get easy access to security role and field security profile information in Visual Studio.
You can download the tool kit from this link.
In the next blog, we will discuss how to install the Developer Toolkit. Stay tuned!